Righting again ...
Well, I find myself awake at 4:30 again . Clearly there's nothing more productive I can do with my time but write a blog. So here I am. Right now, I'm coasting out of one of the busiest months of my post-college life. Directing the 2nd half of 'Moon on a Rainbow Shawl' was incredibly time-consuming given the clock/calandar constraints we were up against to get the show mounted. I was living, breathing, eating, dreaming Moon for the last three weeks of August and I'm happy to report that the show was a smashing success. Despite Gustav's attempts to wash us away, we still managed to pull off three (of the four planned) shows, two of which went resoundingly well and one of which was ok (yay matinees?).
And then there was pressure ...
Woooooooooy, what a stress! Some of you know that I've been invited into a movie project (as script writer of a 24 minute flick) with Ras Kassa. And I boldly imagine a few of you even know who Ras Kassa is! Well, the script was due. And oh how painful it was. I dislike writing things that 'don't breathe', i.e. writing a piece which has been plotted beforehand and that's exactly what this script was. Based on a series of meetings with Kassa, clearly defined guidelines from the foreigners with the $$$, and the previously written kernel-story, this script was locked before it ever began. Granted, this one wasn't as bad as most, since to get the job I'd sent in writing samples and it was one of these writing samples (a mere one page story too) which Kassa fell in love with and became the core of the project. So in essence, I was expanding and morphing MY original idea to fit the required mold. Maybe that was the issue? I'm undecided. Well, this too has passed. I sent off a complete version last night (final draft A) with a few minor suggestions about possible changes/additions should any be deemed necessary (depending on how Kassa's vision lines up with mine, it might be a couple minutes short right now). Now that it's done, my excitement to watch it come to life is starting to build.
Oh, and Simmi left. Booooooooooooo. That's never fun.
And now I must work on a play for Trevor Nairn (Sep 16th deadline on this one) which he may/may not direct for our workshop group to enter in Jamaica's upcoming, and notoriously horrible, festival of the arts - Talawah. Abrikian's script of choice? 'How to Right a Play' or 'Fever Dreams'. Will decide in the next day or two.
And my point today? It is good to be writing again, even with the internal warzones, brain barriers and self-loathing which come with my creative process.
The crows have lent me my head.
4 Comments:
ooo does this mean i get to tell the world about ur movie script now??/
ive been patiently waiting....
very patiently.... :D :D
p.s. how to write a play
p.p.s no, fever dreams
p.p.p.s how to write a play?
p.p.p.p.s. i dont know :(
no! u'll still jinx it! this blog is an eliiiite audience of uh ... 1?
HEY! I'll have you know that many a great actress (moi) has won many an award at said horrible festival. Which, in its horribleness, let us shine more than we actually deserved! :p
Send me both...How to Right a play really sticks out for some reason and I vaguely remember Fever Dreams, so send them both, I'll let u know what I decide to see if it works with YOUR decision u whiney bitch :)
Post a Comment
<< Home